Yesterday was very grey. And grey days sometimes call for warming, colourful foods! Perfect for a cosy night in, mum and I threw together an easy yet nutritious and superfood-packed meal (and personal favourite of mine), before settling down to tuck in while watching the Vicar of Dibley and Only Fools and Horses (a perfect mix of the best bits of our native Spain and adoptive England). Sorted.
Anyway, here’s how it’s done (and as with any ‘casera’ dish, this ‘receta de lentejas’ can be experimented with and modified to taste):
Things you will need (to do it our way, anyway; serving four):
- Olive oil
- 1 small leek
- 2 sprigs of celery
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 fresh tomatoes
- 2 small potatoes
- 2 carrots
- Cooking chorizo
- Vegetable stock
- Green lentils
What you need to do:
- Chop all the veggies!
- Heat some oil in a casserole dish, and sauté the chopped celery, leek, tomato, and garlic.
- Add a fistful of pancetta.
- Once the pancetta has lightly browned, add the vegetable stock, lentils (around 300g or so), some chunks of cooking chorizo, the chopped potatoes and carrots, and a pinch of cumin.
- Bring to the boil, then add casserole dish lid and simmer for about 40 minutes.
- Serve, and top with a sprinkling of pimentón. Perfect with some sliced bread for dipping!